Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The good things about living in Glasgow

After my last post I had the impression that people thought my experience here is all negative. So here's a list of the positive things about living here instead of Ottawa.

1.) I am rarely reminded by the media that Stephen Harper is my Prime Minister. Instead I am reminded that Tony Blair is my Prime Minister, maybe this cancels out, on second thought, nope.

2.) I didn't have to shovel snow all winter.

3.) On a similar note, you can play tennis, soccer or go bike riding all winter.

4.) There are loads of lambs all over the countryside at the moment.

5.) There are loads of sheep all over the countryside all the time.

6.) News coverage here is far and away superior to news coverage back home. Broader scope and more indepth.

7.) Compared to the US, people here know that Ottawa is the capital of Canada.

8.) Compared to Canada, the media here are completely unabashed about their anti-American sentiment.

-1.) People always think I'm American.

8.) Ribena, orange squash, custard and good chocolate are readily available and inexpensive.

9.) There is something on every night here, whether it's live music, theatre, art, dance, opera, or clubbing. This city is buzzing all the time. I went to see Edward Scissorhands - The Ballet last week. It was amazing.

10.) The architecture here is amazing.

11.) Public transport here is amazing. Subway, trains, buses and cool cabs.

12.) Glasgow has roughly the same population as Ottawa, but it is more condensed. It doesn't take you 2 hours to drive from one end of the city to the other at midnight, when there's no traffic.

13.) Ottawa accents are really boring compared to the accents you hear in this city.

14.) I won't have a 6 hour time difference between me and the world cup this year.

15.) Apart from the deep fried food I mentioned in the previous entry, the food here is great. I always have great meals in restaurants and at friend's houses.

16.) I'm current with Coronation Street.

17.) The BBC, need I say more.

18.) Entertainment Tonight doesn't take over the airwaves every evening.

19.) I haven't dated anyone here.

-2.) I haven't dated anyone here.

19.) My sun allergy won't be a problem here (I think it's gone anyway).

20.) I'm living in Glasgow, not Ottawa.

7 comments:

S said...

What's ribena? Is that some scottish fruit?

graz said...

Ribena is concentrated black current juice. According to the company website (and the ads on telly), 95% of Britian's black currents are used by Ribena.

S said...

Hmm sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

Hope to see same more information in futere.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may all your wishes come true!

Anonymous said...

toxa55.in

Anonymous said...

are you people genuine??